Fan arrested after altercation with Street

Fan arrested after altercation with Street

ANAHEIM -- has learned that a fan was arrested Tuesday night after an incident at Angel Stadium involving A's closer Huston Street, who was interviewed by Anaheim Police Department detective Ed DeLeon in the dugout on Wednesday morning before the finale of a three-game series.

Tim Mead, the Angels' vice president of communications, confirmed that a man identified by police as Jeffrey Coles, 26, of Anaheim, was arrested on suspicion of assault and battery in the incident.

According to Mead, the episode began when Coles, standing near A's family members and friends waiting for players to depart the stadium after the game, started getting verbally abusive toward A's players.

A security guard who requested anonymity described the scene: "He was out of hand, all kinds of terrible language ... and I guess Street heard it or saw it ... so he asked us to get the guy out of there. We did, and that should have been the end of it."

It wasn't.

According to the security guard's account, which was confirmed by Street, the situation escalated as Street and his wife, Lacey, were leaving the stadium after the game. They said Coles started yelling at the couple, who was being escorted out by security.

"The guy was totally out of control," Street said.

The security guard said Coles was warned to leave the scene by security guards who positioned themselves between Coles and the Streets, and then Coles allegedly tried to break past them before being forcibly restrained and arrested.

Mead said he did not have a copy of the police report as of Wednesday afternoon, noting that the investigation was ongoing. Mead said he supports Coles being prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

"If he's tried and convicted, that's a lifetime mistake," Mead said. "That stays on your record forever."

Last July, a fan was ejected from Angel Stadium and arrested for hitting Mike Piazza, then Oakland's designated hitter, in the helmet with a half-full bottle of water. The man, 23-year-old Roland Flores, eventually was sentenced to 30 days in jail and banned from the stadium for three years.

Mychael Urban is a national writer for This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.