The Oakland A’s today announced several changes to their 2013 Spring Training schedule, which were necessitated to accommodate the World Baseball Classic and other Cactus League teams. Despite the changes, the Athletics will still play 17 home games at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. In related news, the team announced that one of those 17 games will feature Italy as the lone World Baseball Classic opponent on the 2013 spring slate on Tuesday, March 5 in Phoenix.
On five of the original home dates, the Cactus League opponents have now changed:
- San Diego replaces Seattle, Feb. 27.
- Colorado replaces San Diego, March 2.
- Seattle replaces Colorado, March 7.
- Los Angeles (AL) replaces Seattle, March 16
- Seattle replaces Cincinnati, March 18
In addition, Oakland and the Milwaukee Brewers have swapped home dates, with the A’s now opening the Cactus League season at Maryvale against the Brewers Saturday, Feb. 23 and then hosting Milwaukee in Phoenix Monday, March 25.